Every once in a while, a home remedy breaks through from the old world into the new, becoming relevant to a whole new generation. Oregano oil is a great example. Over the past few years, people around the world have rediscovered the versatile benefits of this herbal extract. Here are 5 uses for oregano oil that may surprise you.
1. Immune defense. Generations ago, people would take oregano oil during the cold and flu season and thousands are doing so again today. Oregano oil will not cure or prevent these common ailments, but many herbalists believe that taking a few drops in a glass of water for 5 to 10 days can support the immune system when under attack.
2. Menstruation support. Another historic use for oregano oil is the support of regular, comfortable menstruation. The jury is still out on the scientific basis for this application, but generations of women have sworn by it and a new generation of young women are giving it a try.
3. Physical comfort. Make your own muscle rub with a 50/50 combination of oregano oil and olive or coconut oil. The phytochemicals in the oregano oil will soothe your muscles without causing redness or irritation.
4. Weight loss. Studies suggest that a component in oregano oil called carvacrol may contribute to weight loss and even promote healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Again, the jury is still out on the scientific foundation here, but encouraging evidence continues to emerge.
5. Digestive aid. Chances are your ancestors used oregano oil to aid digestion; it’s one of the most common historical digestive aids. Oregano oil is believed to help stimulate the flow of bile, thereby supporting the digestive process.