You have certainly heard that it is very important to monitor the levels of cholesterol in your blood. That it is important to take certain measures to keep cholesterol within healthy levels. Now we’ll focus on some positive features of cholesterol. Did you really think it can be only harmful?
There are certain cholesterol levels which need to be raised. You have probably heard that there is “good” and “bad” cholesterol. The human body needs both types but of course at healthy levels. LDL (low-density lipoprotein) is the so-called “bad” cholesterol. This is the type of cholesterol which is accumulated in the arteries. HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is the “good” cholesterol. High levels of high-density lipoprotein lower the risk of ischemic heart disease and heart attack.Their function is to carry cholesterol to the liver. Some authors even believe that such lipoproteins may remove cholesterol accumulated in the form of arterial plaques. In other words, the higher the HDL levels are, the smaller the content of “bad” cholesterol you will have in your blood.Good cholesterol should be 60 mg/dL and higher. Remember it this way: low LDL levels and high HDLlevels.
And now the question arises naturally: what should we do to maintain cholesterol within healthy levels? Here are some tips:
1. Do not smoke.
2Maintain healthy body weight.
3. Be active and perform sports activities.
4. When choosing fats, choose monounsaturated ones. Organic olive oil is a good choice.
5. Drink alcohol only in moderate quantities.
6. Eat wholegrains such as organic oatmeal, oat bran.
7. Eat more nuts such as walnuts or almonds.
8. Make sure you take sufficient quantities of Omega-3 fatty acids. They are found in krill oil, fish oil as well as in flaxseed.